Dr. Jacob C. House was Port Townsend's most prominent and widely known physician and served as the City and County health official.
Jacob Conway House was born in 1852 in Frederick County, Maryland, the son of David and Elizabeth House and was the fourth of seven children.
In 1873 Dr. House graduated from medical school in Cincinnati, was an assistant at the University hospital there and later practiced in Oxford, Idaho before coming to Port Townsend 1890.
Dr. House was married at the age of 43 to a Californian in 1895. Their daughter, Osceola was born in 1897 and was married in 1921 with a reception held at their home. The society wedding garnered a full two page story with great detail, describing the gowns, decorations and refreshments.
The vacant land was originally sold in November, 1900 to Louise C. House for $600.00. The earliest mention of the Houses residing in a home there was the 1902 city directory. Dr. House’s medical practice was in the Mount Baker Block building downtown.
Described in the August 20, 1902 Port Townsend Leader as a "handsome cottage recently completed for them on commanding eminence overlooking the bay by W.A. Kuehn, the residence is one of the finest in the city and Dr. & Mrs. House are justly proud of their new home."
The family resided in the “House” house until his death in 1925, and the home was eventually sold by his widow and their daughter in 1945 for $3000.00.
1945-1952 - Dr. Clayton M and Cora Schaill
1952-1969 - Bruce N. and Aileen E. Brydges
1969-2006 - Newman A. and Marie L. Hayford
2006 - Current Owner
336 Fillmore Street, Port Townsend, Washington 98368
For additional information contact Jan Garing at (360) 301-5492 or email@example.com